Last year, I started a series called “It’s One of Those Things” in which I detailed my travails with my garage door opener. I resorted to buying new sensors and all was fine. That is until about a month ago when the door on the other side decided to act up. If you’ve followed the story, you’ll know that this is the same side that got a new door opener unit several months back. We’ll, this time, it was one of the cables that broke. Foolishly, I tried to fix it myself.
Anyone who has had their cable break knows that it’s nearly impossible to open the door without it. I worked on it for a few days—connecting the cable and then trying to re-tension the spring to the right point to open the door.
Most people would probably heed the warning that working with that huge spring without the right tools (let alone knowledge and experience) can be deadly. I tried it anyway. And after one serious case of rapped knuckles, I gave up and called in an expert. For less than $150, our door was back in operation. All’s well that ends well.
Well, almost. When I bought that new opener, something told me I should buy a new unit for the other side since it was due to fail soon also. And so it did. Last night as I tried to open the door, the gear on the top of the opener sheared off, the chain slacked, and the door—having gone up a few inches—came crashing back down.
This happened, of course, as I was trying to open the door to leave!
Fifteen minutes later, after working the car from one side of the garage to the other while INSIDE, I was able to get out of the garage!
I replaced the drive unit today. Having learned my lessons with the previous installation, this one went quite smoothly. Of course, the new sensor that I just bought and installed last year—is useless now.
Ah, well. All’s well that ends well.
For now. Thanks, Lowe’s!